Pagan Network
2014/Oct/23 @ 11:04:16 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Pagan Network Trivia Challenge http://www.pagan-network.org/forums/index.php?topic=27081.0
Membership Queries: pagan.network@gmail.com Technical Team: pagan.network.techteam@gmail.com  Committee: pn.committee@gmail.com
Witchtower Magazine on Myspace http://www.myspace.com/witchtowermagazine
Pagan Network on LiveJournal http://community.livejournal.com/pagan_network/

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Naturalistic Paganism  (Read 6790 times)
ValD

« on: 2006/Jan/14 @ 22:45:05 »

Just come across this: Nauralistic Paganism
So just what is a Naturalistic Pagan (or a Pagan Humanist)?
Naturalistic Paganism is the spiritual path which uses Pagan symbols, rituals, and ideas while maintaining a Naturalistic Worldview.
What do I mean by Naturalistic?
My beliefs are shaped by evidence and reason, as opposed to faith and revelation.  I strive to believe only based on good evidence.  
What do I mean by Pagan?
My beliefs are strongly influenced by the traditions of neo-paganism derived from various Celtic spiritual Paths.  How I view these traditions is shaped by my naturalism.  

Any thoughts on this?
elariel

« Reply #1 on: 2006/Jan/15 @ 01:18:37 »

Nude Pagans? Smiley -Elle
janimoon

« Reply #2 on: 2006/Jan/15 @ 11:37:59 »

Quote from: elariel
Nude Pagans? Smiley -Elle
You would say that Elle! grin
It sounds a bit Pick'n'Mix to me . Don't get me wrong - I'm guilty of  a bit of "bit from here, bit from there" myself - but you can't just go calling something "X"-Paganism and then discount large elements of what makes Paganism Paganism ( gods and goddesses, belief in spirit, faith), if you get me!
Where did you come across this Val?
Love and Light, Jani xxx
wicred
Metropagan
Registered Member

Metropagan

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: 2006/Jan/15 @ 15:13:05 »

Gods as 'fun and useful metaphors'...

"Now pray step in! My lady saith;
Now pray step in and ride.
I thank thee, I had rather walk
Than gather to thy side."
Leap

« Reply #4 on: 2006/Jan/15 @ 15:39:49 »

Another form of Religion(lite) for beginners..... Smiley
ValD

« Reply #5 on: 2006/Jan/15 @ 16:32:40 »

The concept of it actually rather appeals to me.  I have to confess that I often don't really feel like a "proper" Pagan - I don't do rituals every Full Moon or festival, I don't have a totem animal, I don't have a personal god/ess, I don't have amazing visions, etc etc.    
I do feel very connected to the earth and the Universe, and being amongst nature always makes me happy - sitting in a silent forest or gazing up at the stars uplifts my spirit.   So I think I might very well be a "Pagan Humanist" - if I really have to call myself anything at all, that is.
baph
PEBBLE Rep & Meeja hor!
Registered Member

Taurus   Yellow Star - Beautifies EleganceSpectral

Worrier of Sheep & Meeja hor!

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: 2006/Jan/15 @ 17:08:30 »

Quote from: janimoon
but you can't just go calling something "X"-Paganism and then discount large elements of what makes Paganism Paganism ( gods and goddesses, belief in spirit, faith), if you get me!

Why not???  This is essentially what people do when calling themselves "Wiccan" and then forgetting the whole lineaged initiation thing.  If it does not tick all the boxes, then it's not the thing it WANTS to be.

Unfortunately this does seem to be another of those people who want to lead something, without doing the footwork.  But I suppose there's a place for it.

Editor Esoteric Source
http://www.esotericsource.org
Initiatory Wicca - We are the Craft of the Wise, not craft of the nice!
janimoon

« Reply #7 on: 2006/Jan/15 @ 20:48:04 »

Quote from: baph2
Why not??? This is essentially what people do when calling themselves "Wiccan" and then forgetting the whole lineaged initiation thing. If it does not tick all the boxes, then it's not the thing it WANTS to be.

Unfortunately this does seem to be another of those people who want to lead something, without doing the footwork. But I suppose there's a place for it.
Hi Jon,
Sorry, I probably didn't mean to say can't as opposed to should not be able to, even though we know that people do! It's like sticking floppy ears and a cotton-tail on a dog. It may look like a rabbit, but it doesn't make it a rabbit.
Val, you go ahead and call yourself what fits and good luck Smiley .
Blessings - Jani xxx
wicred
Metropagan
Registered Member

Metropagan

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: 2006/Jan/15 @ 22:31:45 »

Quote from: janimoon
Val, you go ahead and call yourself what fits and good luck Smiley .
Blessings - Jani xxx

Well apart from slightly raising my eyebrows at their conception of the nature of 'gods' (which after all isn't really much stranger than those on the opposite side of the fence who regard them in entirely anthropomorphic terms), I honestly don't see any problem with them calling themselves pagans; unless, that is, you can come up with a definition of 'pagan' that commands the same degree of acceptance as the definition of rabbit. Oh, and Jon, I'm afraid it's only the fundies who try to pretend that their definition is the only one that counts. Wink

baph
PEBBLE Rep & Meeja hor!
Registered Member

Taurus   Yellow Star - Beautifies EleganceSpectral

Worrier of Sheep & Meeja hor!

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: 2006/Jan/16 @ 03:03:28 »

Quote from: wicred
Oh, and Jon, I'm afraid it's only the fundies who try to pretend that their definition is the only one that counts. Wink

Never said it was the only one that counts... it's the factually correct one though

Editor Esoteric Source
http://www.esotericsource.org
Initiatory Wicca - We are the Craft of the Wise, not craft of the nice!
paulhume
Registered Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: 2006/Jan/16 @ 16:08:53 »

Quote from: ValD
Just come across this: Nauralistic Paganism

Any thoughts on this?

Thought 1: emphasis on minute detail in narrative, Zola as opposed to, say, Flaube...oh, what, that's naturalistic literature. Never mind, then.

Thought 2: An attempt to either conflate atheism (if "evidence" means you get to ignore Deity) or Gnosticism (if 'evidence" means personal mystical experience) with Neopaganism.
wicred
Metropagan
Registered Member

Metropagan

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: 2006/Jan/16 @ 19:11:18 »

Quote from: baph2
Never said it was the only one that counts... it's the factually correct one though

Presumably your definition of 'factually correct' is also factually correct... Wink

Darkling

« Reply #12 on: 2006/Mar/26 @ 14:03:26 »

Hi, I'm very new here so my opinion may seem a little "green" to all you with more experience of these matters. Whilst I can see where this person is coming from, the language he/she uses is a little flippant: "fun" "colourful" and he/she talks about the pagan tropes adding some kind of interest to Humanism which otherwise he/she would find boring. Not particularly complimentary to either modes of belief really is it??? At present my belief in what others call "divine" or "god" or "deity" incorporates, amongst other things, the indefinable energy that connects us all to the universe and to the natural world. I'm glad this topic has come up as I'm a little concerned that what I believe may not be what others perceive as pagan. Especially those who have belief in specific gods/godesses. What do you all think?
Ceri
Dianic Witch
Registered Member

Dianic Witch

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: 2006/Mar/26 @ 18:56:10 »

The term Pagan is actually a very broad umbrella term these days which covers a whole load of different stuff and about which there is no consensus of core meaning.  What you have described is a very common view among modern Pagans, or Neo-Pagans as sometimes called to show that this is not neccessarily connected very much to ancient Paganisms, which tended to be what is called 'hard polytheistic'. Ie each deity was believed to be a seperate being to every other deity. Whereas, the sense of a more amorphous divinity which is about interconnected energy between all things etc ( a kind of pantheism) is more of a modern thing. That doesn't mean there wasn't something like this amongst some ancient Pagan philosophers, and there were concepts such as wyrd and fate which were close to it, but a nature loving/honouring sense of the interconnected whole of the Universe as sacred/divine - wasn't really the beliefs of the common rural people, who were dressing their local well, or venerating their local tree or sacrificing to a God or Goddess.   Anyhow, yes, you can call yourself Pagan. There's a great stuff on the multiple meanings of the word Pagan, its history and its modern usages, on the site religioustolerance.org - check it out!
Darkling

« Reply #14 on: 2006/Mar/26 @ 19:28:46 »

Thanks Ceri, I'll take a look. I'm so new to this, and pretty nervous about it all. I'm very pleased that you've said the things you have. xxx
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: