Pagan Network
2014/Jul/25 @ 13:29:06 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Pagan Network Trivia Challenge http://www.pagan-network.org/forums/index.php?topic=27081.0
Membership Queries: pagan.network@gmail.com Technical Team: pagan.network.techteam@gmail.com  Committee: pn.committee@gmail.com
Witchtower Magazine on Myspace http://www.myspace.com/witchtowermagazine
Pagan Network on LiveJournal http://community.livejournal.com/pagan_network/

Home Help Calendar Login Register

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Safe to drink from pewter goblet?  (Read 40142 times)
Weeping Willow

« on: 2006/Aug/07 @ 18:44:37 »

I managed to find a pewter goblet in a charity shop today for only £2.99! A bargain but i was wondering if it would be unsafe to drink from? It has a stamp on the bottom which says "english pewter made in Sheffield- England". How do i know if it is safe to drink from?
Sage

« Reply #1 on: 2006/Aug/07 @ 20:05:40 »

Don't drink tomato juice from it

You die, kind of - for all intents and purposes you appear dead for a short while, even if you recover it's not healthy.

There are other things, I've never had reason to try out this idea, it could be urban myth, based on an email that went round a while ago (dead ringers/reasons for having wakes)
Tigerkitty

« Reply #2 on: 2006/Aug/07 @ 20:31:58 »

You can always coat the inside with a non-toxic lacquer or clear nail varnish just to be safe.
Weeping Willow

« Reply #3 on: 2006/Aug/07 @ 21:08:33 »

I dont know if i want to risk it! lol I may try coating the inside, thanks for the advice!

Blessed be,
Weeping Willow )O( xx
deadly_whispers
Broadband for spirits
Registered Member

Scorpio   Blue Storm - Catalyses Self-GenerationCosmic

Broadband for spirits

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: 2006/Aug/07 @ 21:31:00 »

I might be being a bit slow but why would tomato juice in particular affect it?

EDIT: found an answer: - Even more important, do not drink tomato juice or wine out of a pewter cup (especially if it has not been sealed shocked ) as the acid may leach lead and other substances out of the metal. - found here although how reliable it is I don't know...

Just because my viewpoint differs from yours does not make mine wrong
Belladonna Silver
The Lunatic Fringe
Registered Member

Pisces   Blue Monkey - Plays MagicResonant

The Lunatic Fringe

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: 2006/Aug/07 @ 22:16:11 »

Most modern pewter I've come across is lead free. Not sure how that makes it pewter but none the less.

If it's older then it's most likely got lead in it.

Everytime we try to impose order we create chaos....

From hence she comes forth on the Churches in delight 
Here is her cup filld with its poisons, in these horrid vales
And here her scarlet veil woven in pestilence & war: 
Here is Jerusalem bound in chains, in the Dens of Babylon.
Weeping Willow

« Reply #6 on: 2006/Aug/07 @ 22:26:54 »

:fear: agh! well it'l make a nice ornament hahaha :happy: id rather be heathy with a pretty ornament then dead with a poisonous (but pretty) goblet!
Well i'll see if there is any way i can find to make it useable (and most imporantly safe) and i'll stay away from wine and tomato juice!
WiLdFyRe

« Reply #7 on: 2006/Aug/09 @ 03:32:00 »

On the side of caution, using nail varnish to coat the inside has got to be a bad idea. They put all kinds of nasty stuff in it and it'd probably be more dangerous to drink nail varnish than bits of pewter...
I just typed 'Is pewter safe?' into google and all the top websites seem to say that it is. The worry seems to come from the fact that old manufacturers of pewter used lead to make it.

Julia x
deadly_whispers
Broadband for spirits
Registered Member

Scorpio   Blue Storm - Catalyses Self-GenerationCosmic

Broadband for spirits

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: 2006/Aug/09 @ 09:18:27 »

I think pewter in most circumstances and forms is safe but it is the lead content which is the problem combined with the fact that repeated drinking out of anything tends to remove varnish, coating etc or taint the material the item is made from.

Just because my viewpoint differs from yours does not make mine wrong
Silvanus

« Reply #9 on: 2006/Aug/09 @ 09:27:40 »

Dont drink from it, old pewter has lead in it, new pewter doesnt but makes everything taste extreemly fowl....trust me Wink
Scorch
Registered Member

Virgo   Blue Eagle - Creates VisionSelf-Existing

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: 2006/Aug/09 @ 12:57:36 »

Give it a coat of lacquer, and it'll be fine. Spray acrylic or similar should do the job - when coatings like this are dry, they won't hurt you (like nail polish), even if you ate them.
Make sure the goblet is all clean & shiny & non-greasy first.

Blessings,
Scorch
Scorch's Pyrography
Weeping Willow

« Reply #11 on: 2006/Aug/10 @ 00:09:53 »

wow thanks for your help everyone wink Much appreciated

Blessed Be
)O(
Andromeda
The Psychic Treasurer
Registered Member

Capricorn   White World-Bridger - Equalises DeathOvertone

The Psychic Accountant

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: 2006/Aug/10 @ 13:54:41 »

*Laughs uncontrollably*

Having drunk out of pewter tankards upwards of 70 years old, I can tell you there's no problem as long as you're sensible.

- Pewter does have heavy metals in it - not just lead, but antimony (and others) as well.  All are cumulative, e.g. the toxins build up in the body over time.
 - The more acidic the drink, the more toxins will leach out over time.

So, sensible answer is - don't drink any very acidic drink (including most fruit juices / ciders) out of a pewter vessel and don't drink out of it too regularly.  Also, from personal experience, don't drink too much at a time - I can certainly testify that my worst hangovers have occurred after a night out with my tankard.

Don't varnish / lacquer it unless you know *exactly* what you are doing.  Using the wrong varnish will give you more immediate problems than heavy-metal poisoning.

Plus, there's nothing like the taste of beer or wine out of pewter.  Being metal it keeps the drink cool for longer.

Happy drinking with your tankard.

Andy

(All this from someone who spent three years *only* drinking from a pewter tankard at the point when her favourite drinks were Old Rosie Cider and pints of peach schnapps - don't do that.  It gives you really nasty hangovers!!!)

You know, I can't spell.  Only last week I accidentally hexed myself.

My Journal
My Choir

I am a proud member of the Glasgow Survivors Group (just!)
paulhume
Registered Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: 2006/Aug/11 @ 15:34:02 »

Quote from: deadly_whispers
Even more important, do not drink tomato juice or wine out of a pewter cup (especially if it has not been sealed shocked )...

It also destroys the taste and bouquet of the wine.

If the money is there, have the inside gold plated (or he whole thing, of course).
Aura1

« Reply #14 on: 2006/Aug/12 @ 20:59:30 »

Don't drink tomato juice from it

You die, kind of - for all intents and purposes you appear dead for a short while, even if you recover it's not healthy.

Why shouldn't you do that?

:lookaroun
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: